Managing people can offer up lots of challenges as a team leader, senior manager or CEO. While there are all the business-centered concerns around deadlines and work, there is also the pastoral side to take care of.
One key concern for all managers or entrepreneurs is how to get the most out of the people they employ. Making sure that your staff are as productive as possible is essential to help your business succeed. Not only will productive staff sell more or generate more leads, but they will also offer greater customer service levels to consumers.
There are many ways to increase staff productivity levels in the office, but fitness is arguably the best. What is really great about using fitness in this way is that it is also beneficial to your employees on a personal level. Fitness allows you to not only get the most out of them each day but also look after them as a person.
How can staff productivity be improved by fitness?
Although you may know why fitness should be used to boost staff productivity, you may wonder just how it does this. Here are some of the main reasons why it is so good in this regard:
- Makes staff more alert and energized – when you exercise, the blood flow to your brain is increased. This in turn makes you feel more awake and alert. This is great news for your staff, who will feel more switched on and ready to work harder if they take steps to keep fit. In addition, keeping fit will also give staff more energy. This will see them able to focus better on the job in hand and be able to work at their maximum level for longer each day.
- Keeps staff in better health – another great benefit of staying fit for staff is that it will keep them in better shape. This is especially important if they have to lift heavy boxes or items when working. Taking steps to engage in regular fitness-boosting sessions will improve their stamina, cardiovascular system and generally keep their body strong.
- Improves mental health – it is easy to focus on the physical benefits of fitness, but the mental ones are just as key for staff productivity. Staff who keep fit will fight off feelings of depression or anxiety due to the serotonin released into the brain during exercise. This serotonin will make them feel good and deal with stress or difficult situations better at work.
- Reduces number of days off sick – a real killer to office productivity for any business is staff being ill. After all, when they are not working, they are not productive at all! Naturally, there will always be some sickness over the year, but fitness can help keep staff healthier. This then means that they will be in work more and off sick less. Exercise helps to boost your immune system, which will help your staff fight off common colds and bugs.
- Builds closer teams – we all know that if the team works, then the dream works. This is 100% true for your business, where you will only succeed if the teams you have are tight. Working out together is a great way to build these close bonds between employees and make sure that they are all working harder for each other. The knock-on effect of this is that everyone becomes more productive.
How can you help your staff engage with fitness?
What can be hard in terms of fitness for your employees is convincing them to exercise. After all, you cannot dictate what they do in their personal life when they’re not working. What you can do as a leader is to show them why it makes sense and help them to get involved with fitness.
Many people who do not exercise may resist this encouragement as they worry about picking up injuries. With the right education though, they can be reassured. Compression clothing infused with copper could be something that you recommend here to provide support to the body during and after exercise to avoid injury or soreness. Once they are ready to engage in staying fit for their own and the company’s benefit, you could provide gym memberships as part of their employment package or set up an on-site gym.
Staff productivity is key for business
There is no doubt that enabling your staff to become more productive is crucial. Helping them to get involved with regular exercise is a great way to do this. Not only will it help your business grow, but it will also help keep them in good health. By combining your employer responsibilities with business value, you are doing all that you should be to look after everyone.